“The search for the two missing victims of the Whakaari / White Island eruption has been suspended,” Bay of Plenty District Commander, Superintendent Andy McGregor said in a statement on Tuesday.
The decision was made after dive and helicopter teams had carried out “extensive shoreline and substantial aerial searches” but “sadly no further items of significance have been located,” McGregor said.
“The families of the two missing people have been informed of this decision,” McGregor said. He added that police will be ready to respond if new information comes to light.
Most of those who died in the eruption were either Australian citizens or permanent residents of that country. Last week, 13 patients were transferred to hospitals in Australia, though one person later died.
Langford and Marshall-Inman have not been included in the official death toll.
Two other members of the Langford family died in the eruption, and another remains in hospital in Australia, according to police.
The active volcano off the east coast of the country’s North Island had become a popular tourist destination in recent years, receiving more than 10,000 visitors annually.
Last week, New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said an investigation into the eruption, conducted by New Zealand’s workplace safety regulator WorkSafe, will take a year to complete.