What Happened to Virgil? Cause of Death Revealed
Virgil Abloh was a fashion designer and entrepreneur from the United States. Beginning in 2018, he was the artistic director of Louis Vuitton’s menswear collection, and in early 2021, he was granted additional creative duties across the LVMH brand.
Abloh launched his own line of streetwear clothes, Pyrex Vision, in 2012, and then became the CEO of the Milan-based label Off-White, which he started in 2013.
Who Was Virgil Abloh?
In 2013, Abloh launched his first fashion house and second business overall, the high-end streetwear brand Off-White, with a logo inspired by Ben Kelly.
Abloh described the company, which is based in Milan, Italy, to investors and fashion critics as “the grey area between black and white as the color off-white.” The New Guards Group assisted him with the launch of his brand, as did many other designers and brands, including Palm Angels, Heron Preston, and Marcelo Burlon.
What Did Virgil Abloh Study?
Abloh grew up in Rockford and graduated from Boylan Catholic High School in 1998. He earned a Bachelor of Science in civil engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2002. In 2006, he obtained his Master of Architecture from the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT).
He trained as an architect, and the experience stayed with him even as he went into other arts. Abloh‘s ideas were organizational, spatial, and mind-bogglingly lofty. He yearned to create a complexly structured life for his muse, the young Black guy.
How Did Virgil Abloh Die?
Abloh was diagnosed with cardiac angiosarcoma, a type of cancer, in 2019, but he kept the news to himself. He died in Chicago on November 28, 2021, at the age of 41. LVMH paid tribute to Abloh with the family’s permission at their planned November 30 spin-off fashion show in Miami, with the theme “Virgil was here.”
The tribute was attended by Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Rihanna, ASAP Rocky, Bella Hadid, Pharrell Williams, Tahar Rahim, Venus Williams, Joe Jonas, Ricky Martin, Jeremy Pope, 21 Savage, Joan Smalls, and Bernard Arnault. Louis Vuitton dedicated its window displays around the world with the dedication “Virgil was here.”
Drake, Rihanna, West, Kardashian, Kid Cudi, Tyler, the Creator, ASAP Rocky, Frank Ocean, Vic Mensa, Lauryn Hill, Don C, and Jerry Lorenzo attended Abloh’s funeral service in Chicago on December 6, 2021, along with his family and other close friends.
What Happened to Virgil Abloh?
Lil Durk follows up 7220, his first solo No. 1 album, with the release of his new Cole Bennett-directed music video for “What Happened to Virgil,” which features Gunna.
The video was created by Bennett’s Lyrical Lemonade studio as a tribute to the late-great designer and artistic architect Virgil Abloh, who died unexpectedly last November after a private two-plus-year battle with a rare, aggressive form of cancer. He was only 41 years old at the time.
Who is the Wife of Virgil Abloh?
Abloh lived in Chicago with Shannon, his wife, and their two children. The couple married in 2009 at the Chicago Four Seasons, the same year Abloh decided architecture wasn’t for him and took a job interning at Fendi.
It was a large family wedding, with Abloh reportedly leaving most of the planning to the bride while remaining “supportive.”
Is Virgil Abloh the Owner of Louis Vuitton?
On July 20, LVMH, the parent company of Louis Vuitton, Dior, and many other luxury brands, announced the acquisition of a majority stake in Virgil Abloh’s Off-White.
The agreement gives LVMH a 60 percent stake in the Off-White trademark, while Abloh retains a 40 percent stake and continues to serve as the brand’s creative director.
After Virgil’s Death, Who Owns Off-White Now?
LVMH Mot Hennessy Louis Vuitton announced in July 2021 that it would acquire a 60% stake in Off-White, with founder Virgil Abloh, who was the creative director of menswear for Louis Vuitton at the time, keeping the remaining 40%. Abloh died of cardiac angiosarcoma on November 28, 2021, at the age of 41.
Are Kanye West and Virgil Abloh Friends?
After art designing Jay-Z and West’s joint hip-hop album “Watch the Throne,” Abloh’s career took off, earning him a Grammy nomination.
However, things reportedly soured between the two following Abloh’s decision to work for Louis Vuitton, a move that West did not approve of.
Virgil Abloh was an American artist, DJ, and fashion designer best known as the fashion director of his Off-White label. In 2018, Abloh was appointed artistic director of Louis Vuitton.
He is now one of the biggest names in the fashion industry. He has worked in Chicago street fashion and is the first African-American to be artistic director of a French luxury fashion house.